Sunday, February 19, 2017

A Nice Surprise (And a Simple Plugin)

A Nice Surprise

So I was looking through my meager list of repositories on GitHub today and I noticed my Printer jQuery plugin had some new traffic from a page I hadn't seen before, which is kind of unusual since the project is a few years old now. It was from a website called CodeGeekz. I decided to take a look at the source page and to my surprise my plugin made it into a list of "8 Best jQuery Print Page Plugins". Nice!

However, upon closer inspection of the list, I realized that every other plugin in the list is for actually printing out a page or a section of a page whereas my plugin is more like a content slider with a quirky name. Oops! Someone didn't do their homework I see. Still, it's nice to have my work featured somewhere new and I very much appreciate it.

My plugin was also featured on a website known as jQueryRain back in October of 2014 which you can check out here. That was also nice to see. Thanks for the shares!

For those of you who don't know what my Printer plugin is, you're in luck! I'm going to detail it in the next section.

A Simple Plugin

So the plugin is pretty simple. As is stated in the read me file on the GitHub project page "Printer is an open source AJAX style page loading jQuery plugin that retrieves the URL from each hyperlink in the sidebar on the fly upon being clicked. It can also function as a rudimentary slideshow (but keep in mind this plugin does not cache any resources, i.e. Printer will make a new AJAX request on each new slide)."

There you have it, a pretty simple plugin to load new content into the page AJAXically (is that a word?) with simple animations. To code something like this wouldn't take very long, I admit, but it was supposed to have some other features as well that I still haven't gotten around to adding. Sigh. It was also kind of a "Hello World" project for me as it was my very first project I put up on GitHub.

A demo of it is available here, and if you like it, go ahead and use it on whatever project you want to. It's free after all!

As always, thanks for reading. Questions about how the plugin works or how to set it up can be posted here. Errors and pull requests on GitHub are welcome as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment